Employment and Paid Opportunities
VOICES Seeks Artistic Director
Voices, an auditioned community chorus in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, seeks an experienced, creative, and dynamic Conductor and Artistic Director to succeed a retiring conductor of 18 years beginning in August, 2018. The Conductor and Artistic Director will continue to build the organization’s reputation as a community chorus known for its artistic excellence, innovation, and creative diversity. It is an exciting opportunity to lead the organization in its next phase of growth.
The mission of Voices is to foster, sustain, and share the art and joy of choral music and to enrich the Triangle community through excellent performances of music from diverse cultures and historical periods.
Voices is one of the Triangle’s oldest and most distinguished choral groups with a rich history spanning over more than three decades. Since 1980, it has been a thriving member-governed chorus known today for its high standard of excellence. In addition to a 100+ member chorus, Voices also has a smaller, select ensemble, Cantari, singing mostly a cappella music. The larger symphonic chorus performs a Fall and Spring concert, often featuring an orchestra and soloists; while the smaller chamber group performs three concerts each year, in the Fall, Winter and Spring. In the summer, there is an optional chorus, not auditioned, performing a theme-based concert typically featuring guest performers ranging from dancers to musicians to actors.
Candidates must have a Bachelor’s degree in vocal or choral music; a Master’s in vocal or choral music is preferred. Additionally, candidates should have a minimum five years of experience conducting choral music in schools, churches, and/or community choirs. Candidates should have extensive knowledge of choral repertoire, languages, choral diction, and vocal technique. A creative mindset for vibrant multicultural repertoire in an ensemble of mixed ages and ability levels is essential.
- Develop annual musical programs creating compelling original and innovative concerts for our choruses to both build on our traditions and develop our audience, prior to the start of each season.
- Select music for the programs and make arrangements for ordering music, coordinating with the chorus librarian for distribution.
- Audition and select singers for the two choruses.
- Select soloists and instrumentalists.
- Prepare for and conduct weekly rehearsals with each of the two choruses, and bring a positive, energetic, collaborative, and genuine spirit to rehearsals.
- Engage with members to communicate insights such as composer’s intentions, historical background of the music, etc.
- Provide program descriptions and notes for printed programs and marketing materials.
- Select, coordinate, and communicate effectively with accompanist for rehearsals and performances.
- Work to fully utilize the talents and skills of all members, maximizing members’ musicianship and satisfaction.
- Work collaboratively with the Voices board on efforts including marketing and fundraising to lead the organization into its next phase of growth
- Build positive relationships with the singers, staff, audience members, donors, board members and the local music community.
- Continue to develop the artistic vision of Voices.
Salary is based on qualifications and experience. Interested applicants should send a letter of interest, a resume, including references, and a short video each of a rehearsal and performance, if available, to email@example.com. Applications must be received before March 10, 2018. For more information about our organization and choruses, please visit our website voiceschapelhill.org
Submit Your Listing
TriangleSings will post jobs that are of interest to the local, vocal community of the Triangle, Triad and surrounding areas. Rates are just $40 per month, which includes being part of that month’s e-newsletter that goes out to over 3,000 subscribers. To submit your listing, please send details to firstname.lastname@example.org.