O Holy Night
VAE presents its 5th annual Christmas concert, featuring some favorite pieces from past years as well as some new treasures. As has been our custom, the first half of the concert presents seasonal music written by a wide variety of composers, while the second half features well-known carols in appealing choral arrangements. The carols this year include several in popular and jazz styles.
CHRISTMAS CD – *Just Released!!*
VAE is very pleased to announce the release of a brand-new CD of Christmas music recorded in our earlier concerts at Duke Chapel. Copies of this CD, entitled “O Holy Night,” will be available at this year’s Christmas concert. We hope you will join us at this concert—to hear the beautiful music AND to take a CD home with you!
- John Tavener – Today the virgin
- Frank Ferko – Adam lay ybounden
- Sergey Khvoshchinsky – Bogoroditse Devo
- Daniel Elder – O magnum mysterium
- Samuel Scheidt/David Willcocks – A child is born in Bethlehem
- Mark Kilstofte – Lulla for Christmastide
- Gabriel Jackson – The Christ-Child
- Gustaf Nordqvist – Wonderful peace
- Francis Poulenc – Hodie Christus natus est
- Norman Luboff – Still, still, still
- Reginald Jacques – The Holly and the Ivy
- Donald McCullough – What child is this?
- Michael Meyer – O Holy Night
- Schilichter/Piraquibus – Mazapan con miel
- Will Todd – Away in a manger (fr. 3 Jazz Carols)
- Will Todd – Silent Night (fr. 3 Jazz Carols)
- Darmon Meader – We three kings
- Howard Helvey – Fum, fum, fum
Rodney Wynkoop, conductor
with David Cole (piano)