On Saturday, April 15 at 3:00 pm, all are invited to hear the Duke Chapel Bach Choir perform the St. John Passion. The program will be performed in Duke University Chapel on Duke’s campus. Admission is free and all are invited.
The cantatas were explicitly designed to be theologically rich, educational, and inspirational for one purpose – to glorify God and refresh the human soul. In the same way, this series provides a modern connection with this great music of the past, exploring both the theological underpinnings of the pieces, as well as their sheer musical brilliance.
This performance is the last of seven performances in Duke Chapel’s Bach Cantata Series. Each month will feature a Bach cantata with other meditative sacred and instrumental music. The Bach series offer a time of reflection, sanctuary, and peace, regardless of one’s religious background.
- Lord, Do Not Rebuke Me: Sinners & Repentance (Cantata 135)
5:15 p.m., Sunday, September 11; Duke Chapel
- Serving God with a False Heart: Lukewarm Christians and Hypocrites (Cantatas 179 & 29)
5:15 p.m., Sunday, October 23; Duke Chapel
- Savior of the Nations, Come: Music for Advent (Cantata 62)
5:15 p.m., Sunday, November 27; Duke Chapel
- Drinking Coffee is Natural!: Bach’s Coffee Cantata
3:00 p.m., Saturday, January 21; Fullsteam Brewery
- Salvation Has Come: Looking toward Jesus’ Passion (Cantatas 9 & 159)
5:15 p.m., Sunday, February 12; Duke Chapel
- Out of the Deep: Music for Lent (Cantatas 38 & 23)
5:15 p.m., Sunday, March 19; Duke Chapel
- St. John Passion
3:00 p.m., Holy Saturday, April 15; Duke Chapel